Monday, January 12, 2009

A Time for Bedtime Stories

Bailey loves telling a good story. And I'm pretty fond of doing it too, considering I'm some writer wannabe who would love to someday force myself to finally write one of those stories living inside my head. Bailey favors scary stories and telling them around some pretend campfire with a flashlight shining in my face. And if we don't have a pretend campfire lit or a flashlight staring me down, a book is okay too. And we could never ever go to bed without a bedtime story.

We watched a trailer for the movie
Bedtime Stories, and Bailey's been interested ever since. After some contemplation and off and on doubt, we decided to take the plunge and go see it on Saturday. We figured she'd at least enjoy the guinea pig, Bugsy. Regardless, it was quite the risk on our parts, being that yeah, it's an imaginative ride, but it's no cartoon. (I'm not sure why that means anything to us though since there are plenty of live-action movies she watches in their entirety and plenty of animated films she can't sit through past ten minutes.)

Our favorite theatre now serves food during half of their movie presentations, so we opted to dine in and only once did Bailey ask to leave. We refused though because we were just that into the movie. I loved it! Daddy even liked it and he absolutely loathes any movie with Adam Sandler in it. Bailey liked it too, mostly because of the big-eyed rodent.

Movies are one of our favorite things to do, so I'm glad all three of us enjoyed it. In fact, in November I was going to write a blog (and obviously never did) about another movie we saw. The blog was going to be entitled:


Thanksgiving Day: We bolted to the theatre


Hopefully, from that title you managed to learn that we went to see a movie on Thanksgiving Day. As for the movie, we saw Disney's Bolt. Bailey started getting bored early on and all throughout the film, but I kept delaying her because I was that entranced by it. I'm rarely that enthralled during a movie, honest, especially an alleged kid's film. I fall asleep through those or get up and start doing dishes or something. I've always been that way, even as an actual child. But Bolt's action had me so engrossed that there was no way I was missing a moment. Not even for Bailey. If I believed she'd sit through it again, I'd beg to see it a second time. But since it's no Horton Hears a Who or Wall*E, I'm guessing there is no second screening. If you think I'm not buying it on DVD though as soon as it is available, you're sadly mistaken.


Then sometime in December we were desperate to see another film which brings to yet another blog entry I never typed up (I know, a shocker). This one was to be titled,

Desperate to see Despereaux


This film, The Tale of Despereaux, looked so adorable in the movie trailers and the art was amazing. We anxiously awaited its arrival to the theatre and when we finally did go see it, I think we were all wiggling in our theatre seats anxiously waiting its departure. Bailey yet again begged to leave and if it hadn't been for curiosity, I think we would have allowed it. It wasn't an awful film, but it felt long and it just had a lot of different plots going on. I must add though, Dustin Hoffman's voice was in it, and for him, I could sit through it, but only for him...and well, Bailey (of course!).


Wow, I've gotten a bit off track, haven't I? I suppose that happens...




So in case you were wondering...you're never too old for a bedtime story, or a movie for that matter.

No comments: