Friday, January 23, 2009

The Expert on Pain

We were playing at our favorite Friday hangout, and Bailey stumbles on some stairs and I asked the usual, "are you okay?" This seemed to be followed by, a "yeah," and "I'm the expert of pain." Now of course, my ears were deceiving me, just as I worry they often do when it comes to my redhead, because she seriously can't be saying some of the phrases I think I hear.

Since my ears were clearly wrong, I asked my dear child what she said and she replied, "I'm the expert of pain." And just when I thought perhaps I'd heard wrong the second time as well, Bailey added, "I'm the expert of hurting too." I tried not to laugh or inquire further as I had those images of those people who get adrenaline rushes from being injured or of a person whose whole life is based on pain and they get so used to it they're numb, like antibiotics not working anymore or something. It was difficult.

But none of it was hard to believe since she does fall a lot (she inherited my grace), and bump into walls and rumble and tumble like a bouncy ball. It's rather impressive that she deals with it so well with barely ever any tears. She has rightfully earned her title of expertise on the subject.

And just as I'd come to that conclusion, Bailey also decided she was the "expert of throwing things in the air," and "eating." I'm not as confident in the truth of both of those, especially the latter, but then again, I'm no expert. Not even on her most days.

No comments: