Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Tie Dye Kid



So we were at this gathering on Sunday and I allowed Bailey to wear this outfit, knowing there could be major risks involved. I knew that when I bought it from Gymboree. It's practically white, and anything close to white is always a daring move on my part (and it was actually Bailey who picked it out as she is always the one who picks out the white or almost white clothing). We know what happened this past summer.

Later I get this glimpse of my child and I notice something truly unique about this sweater dress. It suddenly looked like someone had done a dye job to it, perhaps a rather bad one. There were shades of pink smudges and I can't say (or type) I was all that surprised. It literally looked like someone had slowly been dipping parts of it into strawberry Kool-aid. (You can barely tell in the photographs, mostly just in person.) The mystery was the substance and after a bit of thinking, it was sidewalk chalk. One of my aunts had drawn hopskotch squares on the concrete flooring and instead of hopping, Bailey must have instead done some rolling, sliding, or slithering; anything but hopskotching.


Talking to one of my uncles, we were thinking it should come out, but I have a plan in case it doesn't. (I ALWAYS have a plan.) I'm going to rub chalk off with it so it'll just look all pink and then I'll never have the fear of an ecru or white dress ever again. Until then, let's just say it's a product of tie dye. Hippies can wear sweaters too, right?






No comments: