Thursday, April 9, 2009

All About Babies: A Table Conversation with 4 Year Olds

I had the most wonderful experience today at Bailey's preschool, all due to a conversation that happened in front of me. I had the pleasure of listening to two little children debate how babies get out of a mother. One little girl was convinced of her reasoning, while a little boy was 100% sure of his theories. The conversation went something like this:

Boy: It really comes out down there.

Girl: I'm telling you, the baby comes out of the tummy like this. (demonstrating using her hands and stomach)

(The audience now has a fantastic mental picture.)

Boy: No. It comes out from down there. (The boy points down and laughs.)


Girl: No, they have to cut the mom in half to get it out. That's how it really, really happens.


Boy: No, it comes out of the vagina. (He is giggling harder this time.)


Now the interesting part of this biology lesson is that Bailey is sitting in between these two children as the discussion is involving sawing people in half and of course, the vagina. He said the word about four times, at least. Bailey was oblivious the whole time, thank the world. I think I would have been blushing and stuttering otherwise.


I'll let you pick your own side on who you think was right.

No comments: