Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Tadpole Express

The occasion called for a special surprise today and so after we spent some time at our favorite local children's museum, we made a rare stop at one of the most fascinating little pet stores on the planet.  They even have a monkey on display.  And while Bailey thought he was fabulous, something else caught her eye.  She was instantly drawn to the different kinds of fish.  I was there for my own purposes and although they weren't in the place I remembered them being over six years ago (imagine that), I found them a few tanks down.  I called Bailey over and before I had a chance to tell her what was going on, she was so ecstatic at was before her.  And so when I told her she could bring one home and this was her surprise, she was shocked beyond comprehension.  She anxiously told the lady who worked there which one she wanted and was very specific. She knew who she wanted.  She was so proud of her new pet, we didn't even go gazing at the birds, rodents or any other wild beasts they have in their possession.

She immediately named her new pet "Tadpole Express," which is rather appropriate considering he is indeed a tadpole, and as Bailey can tell you, he's going to turn into a frog someday.  We're the lucky souls who get to watch.  And I've been waiting patiently for this moment to do this activity again.  When I taught, I had bought one from the very same store (but several tanks down) and it was truly such an enjoyable experience.  His name was Thadeus though, not Tadpole Express and this is Tadpole Express' story.

 

Tadpole Express had quite the journey home as we searched frantically for dance clothes, clothes that used to be in every Target store and suddenly are not, at least not the light pink or black ones.  How convenient that they stop carrying them just when I need them.  And her tiny tot body did not fit into any of the ones at Kohl's.  I don't expect you to understand our need for such things, but there was a need indeed.  Tadpole Express was a trooper though as we hurried into just a couple stores (more like four) on our way to his new home.  At one point his bag was leaking, and I believed Bailey when she told me she poked a hole accidentally in it with her finger, but later I discovered she had nothing to do with it, just how it was set into the brown paper bag.

We finally made it to our final destination, but before we could place Tadpole Express in his new quarters, we had to evict this guy first.

 

Surprisingly, it took some effort.  But after he figured out where he was going, there was no looking back and he seemed to have no bitterness to our eviction decision.

Bailey couldn't be more happy about her new pet experiment.  She picked out one who didn't have legs like most of the rest of them did, which means she'll get to witness even more of the stages of a frog's life.  Tadpole Express really is so fitting.

No comments: