Thursday, June 5, 2008

Presumed Dead

I don't know how she did it, but Bailey brought me a tiny little frog Thursday morning.  A real frog.  Slippery body and all.  She was so very excited holding this tiny little thing and relishing in the idea of having another amphibian as a pet.  Now you may or may not recall our last relationship with an amphibian, but the toad ended up dead, in a rocking chair no less.

But as I inspected this slippery little being, I came to the conclusion that this little guy was already a goner.  We didn't need to worry about killing this guy, it'd already been done for us.  I felt better actually, but Bailey was a little disappointed.  I thought that was that, but well, it rarely ever is.

Bailey was talking to me and then laughed hysterically and seemed to be following something and there was that little frog hopping across our carpeting.  Apparently, I was wrong.  It came at an interesting time since Bailey and I had just gone over minutes prior that once something is dead, it does not come back to life.  Ever.  And then this happened and I believe she liked the fact I was wrong.  I think we shall name that little frog Lazarus.

We took him outside and he swam in the little pool outside for a bit, seeming not all that thrilled that we put him in there in the first place.  He didn't move all that much and Bailey and I discussed that he was a nocturnal animal.  She personally would have preferred him to be awake in the daytime like she is.  And then back in the bug habitat he went.  I was a little fearful that we'd have a repeat of the toad's ever so short life, but there was no use arguing with her.  She was a determined little scientist and who am I to get in the way of science?

As the day progressed, that little guy didn't move much and I told her as we were leaving for the post office that once we came back, he was indeed going back outside to live.  She didn't object.  Time did though.  By the time we got back, Bailey thought it was so cute that Lazarus was laying on his back, his tummy in the air just like Fudge does sometimes.  I really didn't want to ruin the moment.

We took him outside and this time, there was no presumption of death, just simple fact.  Bailey was still oblivious to it and noticed that he had some problems swimming in the water.  He was really dead and he wasn't coming back.  We should've expected it.  We haven't had much luck with amphibians.

 

No comments: