Monday, June 16, 2008

Handling a Baby

After our rather interesting first class of tumbling (which by the way, took place over twenty minutes late), we did end up going to Kid's Day Out, which happens only on Mondays.  We arrived to the children being outside playing among the bubbles and concocting bottles of mixed sands. 

When I picked up Bailey, the building was shockingly quiet and Bailey was doing some art at a table.  The moment she saw me, she ran and hid and it took some coaching to get her out.  Finally, she was ready and we were talking and I asked the typical, "were you good today?"

The answer?  "No, I wasn't."  I was shocked by her answer, I asked it twice.  And I thought I heard her tell me, "I hit a baby."  Then she was shoving her dirty hands at me and as she continued, I realized I had misheard her and felt so relieved and told her so until the teacher replied, "No, she really did hit a baby."  In fact, she hit the teacher's baby, a child probably almost a year old.  The teacher told me Bailey had spent some time in time-out for her actions (rightly so) and Bailey never would tell me why she did it, except that she was sorry.

 

Well, she is an only child, so, really, she has no idea how to treat babies, and she can only go by what she sees at home.  Ha, I'm kidding. 

 

Honest.

 

 

(Oh, and so for the teacher, I think she has her own experiences like mine, since I came in to see her child get in trouble and throw a chair down and get into more trouble.  After tumbling, it did help ease the theme of the day that mine is the only one.)

No comments: