Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Kindergarten here we come...

Believe it or not, I have a child who will be starting Kindergarten in August. And when I type, believe it or not, I'm mostly doing it for my own benefit, because I still don't believe it.

But believe it or not, Bailey's starting Kindergarten in August, come rain or come shine. And as of today, she's officially signed up for Kindergarten round-up which will include her screening, meeting the staff, and whatever else occurs through such a Western event that is Kindergarten round-up. I'm expecting a stampede of wee lads and lasses and some crazy lady with a rope. I hope to not be disappointed.

It seems that this whole Kindergarten business can be a bit on the stressful side. I've heard loads of people constantly complaining lately about the possibility of half day Kindergarten (it's full day in my district) due to budget cuts and then this so-called competition to schools. Allegedly, this new shiny school in our area is THE ONE everybody wants to go to, so it's up to every mother this side of the hemisphere to race to the finish line to get their child enrolled in a tip-top fashion. I'm not sure I believe in all the hype, and I really only wanted to make sure I had Bailey ready for the school in our local area. Also, fortunately, I had a little birdy tell me we had to make Kindergarten round-up appointments (which just makes my mind wander even further into the idea of rodeos and stampedes) and when I called, to make sure I had Bailey's social security number handy. When I called today, I had it all ready to fire, and the lady was all impressed I did and told me that was a first. (Eh, it helps having little birdies whispering things in your ears.)

So, on the 17th of April my child is going to herded into the beginning of her school years. Believe it or not.

No comments: