Thursday, March 12, 2009

An Inquiry of the President

While out with my precocious redhead this afternoon, Bailey quite randomly asked me, "What's Obama doing right now?"

I was floored by this direct question, but answered her, "He's busy being the President."

Suddenly, it was obvious to me that this was one of those questions she intended to answer herself.

"I think he's busy keeping people from fighting. That's what he's busy doing."

Oh no. There's more folks.

"I think he's really, really tired. It keeps him busy with these people who keep fighting. I think he just wants them to get along and stop fighting, don't you? But that's hard work because they don't want to stop."

It's a rare moment to silence me, but she succeeded. And I swear to you, we do not speak about such politics in front of her, so I'm still trying to figure out where she has gotten this idea from. She told me they spoke about President Obama at school, but who knows. There's a lot of truth in her innocent thinking though, at least from my perspective.

And if that wasn't enough, we went into a home decor store afterwards and they had these huge portraits of the President on display and Bailey asked me if we could buy one for our walls. She asked loudly, too. I declined, and she then asked, "But why? We had his sign in our yard." My embarrassed eyes quickly dashed to make sure I hadn't offended anyone, and instead two ladies looked at me with smiling eyes and laughed.

She's made points on multiple levels.

No comments: