Friday, August 15, 2008

Whatever!

I was driving down the highway and hear, "whatever."  And not just, "whatever," but "what-evah" as though I'd picked up a hitchiking valley girl who had a flat tire on her hot pink Barbie convertible.  And just as I wondered about such a beast I hear, "whatever" again and this time, it sounds slightly different in dialect as though Valley Girl #1 was from Malibu and Valley girl #2 was from Beverly Hills. 

 

And then the whatevers were bouncing around like ping pong balls inside my car, one right after another, all in different dialects, all coming from the same source.  Apparently my redhead was testing the word, toying with it like a cat with a fake mouse.  It's in movies and shows all the time, so I guess it was only a matter of time before it entered her vocabulary in such a way.  Fortunately for her sake, it wasn't said directly to me.  And she just kept saying it aloud in a million sort of ways.

 

Whatever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happened upon The Daily Bailey tonight and have been reading through entries and visited her web site. She is quite the little lady. Won't it be fun for her to go back through the journal when she is (not older like daddy) but older? Paula