Monday, December 1, 2008

Hannah Montana, I'm not sure I like you

And I'm not sure why all children like you either.

It's not like you've done anything wrong, Hannah, or Miley. Whatever your name is today. And your show is kind of cute, at least the clips of it I've seen. But I'm not sure that I like this whole pop icon worship thing that's going on. Yeah, it's not like it's anything new. And it's not like I wasn't in love with two out of five New Kids on the Block back in the day (all those many, many moons ago), but I'm not a child anymore. I'm a responsible, fairly level-headed adult...ha, who am I kidding? No one. Not a soul.

My concern Hannah, is that all these little girls are getting sparkles in their eyes looking at merchandise with your wig of hair on it instead of playing with real toys. Toys they played with before you became a billion dollar empire.

But I'm hardly a saint. I just bought a bunch of your overly-commercialized merchandise for a child off the Retail Giant's Salvation Army angel tree. But only because I got a really good deal on that awesome acoustic guitar and only because if children are going to get all gooey eyed over celebrity junk, I'd much rather it be your junk than Amy Winehouse's.

No comments: