Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The price of a haircut...a goat

In order to persuade Bailey into allowing her bangs to be cut, I prepared her, bribed her with the idea of returning to the Deanna Rose Farmstead.  I kept mentioning feeding the goats milk, and suddenly she was on board and kept letting me know she was getting her haircut.  We went over this again and again the whole drive to Shear Madness and everything was fine.  Bailey remembered the place, found the toys, and when they called her name she willingly came forward to be taken to her seat.  She was blissfully obedient...until it was time for the smock to be put over her little body.  It's like it came to her what was about to happen.  She realized what she had to endure for the goats. 

The actual cut took a few seconds.  Bailey knew we were only cutting the front, because I'd explained this to her.  She explained this to the stylist.  None of this stopped her from twisting and turning in defiance.  But the bangs are now cut, the stylist not seeming all that thrilled, and Bailey then announced it was time to go eat so we could see the goats.  Bailey paid the woman at the desk and away we went.

The goats were more than a fair trade and for the first time, time was on our side at the farm.  We spent well over two hours there, checking out every corner, every crevice, every slide, every farm animal.  Well, I guess we missed a couple crevices, but that was her choice.  We took a fishing pole when we weren't supposed to and forced Mommy to duck as it was swung all over the place.  That was a good time.  After being momentarily punished and taken away from that area, we rejoined the fun we were having.  The pictures should prove that.

As I spent last Friday with Bailey, gazing at farm animals, petting goats, and walking the beautiful grounds, I couldn't help but think about just how lucky of a mom I am to do these types of things with my child.  It makes it difficult for me to understand why there are so many stay-at-home mothers out there who do nothing of this sort with their own children.  The farm is free.  FREE.  It's gorgeous.  It's invigorating.  Spending time with your child is a luxury.  It's foreign for me to understand anything less.

I'm glad I'm unable to understand though, otherwise, I wouldn't have had so much fun, even if I did have to avoid a fishing hook with my life.

 

Haircuts costing a goat...what an awesome concept!

No comments: