Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Dr. Seuss' Magic

Dr. Seuss has become mighty popular in these parts.  Sure, we liked him before, but he's now a God of sorts right now.  My child has finally joined the Seuss pop culture.  Most importantly, my child has finally become part of the bedtime story clan.  And bedtime stories, for the last couples of months (or longer), are why she goes to bed.  She treats it as a stall tactic and we treat it as a bribe.  It's a win-win situation and everybody's thrilled. 

Every single night, we're forced to read a book we read to her every day while in utero.  It's a Seuss-inspired book called Oh Baby, The Places You'll Go, a Book to Read In Utero, and Bailey still adores it.  Good Night Moon is also a regular and a Wocket in my Pocket has joined the list too.  Really, Bailey likes to add on as many books as possible to keep that bedtime further back.  Good Night Gorilla, Ten Apples up on Top, Classis Pooh stories, Peter Rabbit, The Runaway Bunny...It's not unusual to read approximately four books or more in one session.

But tonight, tonight I did something different.  I got out some other books from my collection on the high shelves, and one happened to be Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book.  When I taught preschool, this book was like magic sleeping dust.  It's long-winded, but that's fantastic, because everyone fell asleep by the time I reached the middle.  And tonight, for the very first time, my Bailey fell asleep while I was reading.  Not immediately after, oh no, during.  There was no, "one more story?" or "can you read another book please?"  No, there was just snoring. 

 

The magic worked.  That man really was a genius.

No comments: