Sunday, May 17, 2009

Worm Experiments



Bailey couldn't wait to start moving tenants in to her worm farm she got for Christmas from Aunt Susie's tribe. (Of course, Aunt Susie didn't know they were getting her such a contraption since we used a gift certificate they gave her way back in 2006 to purchase that as well as a couple other novelty science kits.) But that's not the point of this entry. Oh no. Is there a point?




Yes!

Bailey was so ecstatic to get some fresh worms in to her habitat and then she came across the book again that came with it. And in it were "worm experiments" so after a couple days of reminding Daddy, my little scientists were on their way to doing evil deeds to some poor worms. Imagine my surprise when I discovered them conducting experiments on the coffee table.


I was a tad worried about dissection scarring my badly beaten living room furniture, but they assured me all would be okay. In fact, these were not the kind of experiments I had been expecting.


Now why was I expecting worms being sawed in half like a magician's model? (I do recall being overly helpful as a child and when my father told me how helpful worms were to his garden, I ended up later being found cutting worms in half all in the name of assistance, thinking I was doing a great favor. I really had believed I was helping.) But that was me, and not Bailey. No, my little Einstein was following these careful directions and I was impressed by their actual experiments.



The worms were tested to see what they thought about apples and soap. Shockingly, they preferred the apple juices over the soap residue. So odd. Once the worms were finished with their taste test and were caught escaping, back they went into my never-will-be-used-again-as-long-as-I-shall-live container. I'm assuming they took them back outside afterwards. (These were different worms, and not worm-farm occupants.)

No comments: