Thursday, November 29, 2007

You're not going to believe me

Last night, I was dropping something off at work for a supervisor.  I had Bailey in tow, mostly because she'd insure I'd get out of there in a timely fashion. (That, and the fact I had nowhere else to leave her.)  While waiting, a lady saw Bailey and commented, "Look at that red hair.  Maybe her hair will get that red too."  And by her, she meant her infant granddaughter.  Her daughter, the child's mother commented, "Oh God I hope not."  Her mother had an expression of horror, but the mother who said such a thing immediately saw my face and said, "I mean..." and watching her back track and eat crow was the best dessert.

 

She explained it was beautiful on Bailey, or something to that extent, and I will secretly agree with her that her interracial child probably wouldn't look quite the same with the same shade of red hair that my Bailey wears so beautifully.  The grandmother still seemed pretty shocked though.  And when I think about it, it does seem strange to hear someone not desire this head of hair, except me of course.  Because unlike most people, I know exactly how much work it requires.

 

But some things are worth working for.

No comments: