Monday, March 26, 2007

The Jitterbug I Miss

I was making fun of Wham! the other day (I mean, who doesn't make fun of Wham!?).  Anyhow, I was making fun of them and started singing "Jitterbug" when I suddenly recalled when Bailey was an infant and I'd sing just that one word "Jitterbug" in as close to a George Michael/Wham! voice as I possibly could, and she'd start laughing uncontrollably.  It was one of the most joyful moments of my life.  My child found just as much humor in Wham! as I did.  That's probably when I definitely knew we were forever soulmates, no questions about it.

 

So,  after reminding her father of our Wham! days, something he wanted to forget, to his horror, I sang that one catch phrase in front of Bailey and she sort of laughed, but instead of the same fit of giggles, she said, "What is Mommy doing?  Jitterbug?  What?"  It was funny, but it wasn't that tummy rolling laughter of giddiness as it used to be; the kind of laughing that brought tears to everyone's eyes over one simple word such as "jitterbug."

 

I sure do miss that jitterbug.  And here I never thought I'd ever miss Wham!.

No comments: